Active Adult Community – What You Need to Know

What is an Active Adult Community?

Active adult communities are not always age-restricted to individuals aged 55 & older. Individuals of any age seeking a low-maintenance, active lifestyle look for active adult communities.

Types of Active Adult Communities

One of the main requirements for active adult communities is the age limit, typically set at 55 or older. Additionally, some communities may require that you meet certain income or asset thresholds, and have no dependent children living with you.

Villagers enjoying a break while hiking.

There are several types of active adult communities to choose from, including:

  • Age-Restricted Communities: These communities are designed for individuals aged 55 and older and typically have age restrictions in place to ensure all residents meet this requirement.
  • Age-Targeted Communities: These communities are designed for individuals aged 55 and older but do not have age restrictions in place.
  • Continuing Care Retirement Communities: These communities offer a range of care options, from independent living to skilled nursing care, all on one campus.

Benefits of an Active Adult Community

  • Active Lifestyle: Active adult communities are designed to promote an active and healthy lifestyle among seniors. They offer a wide range of active amenities, such as golf, fitness classes, boating, fishing, pickleball, tennis & more.
  • Social Opportunities: These communities offer a range of social clubs and activities, such as line dancing, gardening, woodworking and game nights. This provides seniors with the opportunity to socialize and make new friends.
  • Maintenance-Free Living: Active adult communities typically provide maintenance-free living, which means that residents do not have to worry about home maintenance or yard work. This allows seniors to focus on their hobbies and interests.
  • Security: Many active adult communities have gated entrances and security patrols, providing residents with a sense of safety and security.
  • Healthcare: Some active adult communities offer healthcare services, such as on-site doctors, nurses, and physical therapists. This ensures that seniors have access to healthcare services when they need them.

Frequently Asked Questions

While the terms “active adult community” and “retirement community” are often used interchangeably, there are some differences between the two. Retirement communities may offer additional services like on-site medical care and assisted living, while active adult communities are geared more towards healthy and active lifestyles.

While some active adult communities allow children to live in the community, most are designed for adults only. Some communities may allow for limited visits from grandchildren or other family members.

At least 80 percent of occupied houses in a 55+ community must have at least one person living there who is over 55. This leaves the other 20 percent of the community’s units available for people of any age.

Many active adult communities have specific requirements for the types of homes that can be built within the community. This may include restrictions on the size of the home, architectural style, and exterior appearance.

While many residents in active adult communities own their homes, some communities may allow for rentals. However, the rules and regulations around renting can vary depending on the community.

There are many active adult communities to choose from, so it’s important to do your research and find one that meets your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors like location, amenities, and lifestyle when choosing a community.

Find Active Adult Community at Tellico Village

Tellico Village is an age-targeted active adult retirement community located in Loudon County, Tennessee. We offer a vibrant lifestyle with a serene natural setting, lakefront access, and a variety of outdoor activities including golf, boating and pickleball. Come and discover for yourself why Tellico Village is the perfect place to call home.

Learn More About Tellico Village